General Inpatient (GIP) may be provided at the end of an acute hospital stay if there is a need for pain control or symptom management which cannot be feasibly provided in the home setting at hospital discharge.
The following examples of patient status may lead to General Inpatient Care:
- Pain or symptom crisis not managed by changes in treatment in the current setting or that requires frequent medication adjustments and monitoring.
- Intractable nausea/vomiting.
- Advanced open wounds requiring changes in treatment and close monitoring.
- Unmanageable respiratory distress.
- Delirium with behavioral issues.
- Sudden decline necessitating intensive nursing intervention.
- Imminent death – only if skilled nursing needs are present.
It is also important to keep in mind what is not appropriate for General Inpatient Care:
- It is not intended for caregiver respite. If a caregiver is not in the home, or unable to help the patient adequately, other arrangements can or should be made.
- It is not intended as a way to address unsafe living conditions in the patient’s home.
- It is not an “automatic” level of care when a patient is imminently dying. There must be pain or symptom management and skilled nursing needs present.
Harry Hynes Memorial Hospice offers an exclusive hospice center providing in-patient care in a home-like, supportive environment. Our hospice center inpatient unit is located on the 8th floor of Via Christi Hospital St. Francis.
Our hospice center features private rooms to accommodate personal needs where visitors are always welcome. The hospice center specializes in providing a short-term, acute care solution for symptom management and spiritual and psychosocial support for guests and their families. Hospice nurses, hospice aides, social workers, chaplains and other specially-trained staff are available on site, around the clock, to respond to the needs of those we serve.
If you think the Hospice Center Inpatient Unit is right for you or your loved one, please contact us at 316-265-9441 to discuss your care options. Our Hospice Center Inpatient Unit Guidelines tab can also help answer your questions regarding eligibility for our hospice center.